We advocate for public policies that ensure access to care and treatment for those affected by liver disease. To accomplish this, we focus on educating policy makers and elected officials that represent San Diego County residents at a local, state and federal level. Often our goals are achieved when working in collaboration with other groups.
In addition, from time-to-time we focus on special initiatives, such as the Hepatitis C Elimination Initiative.
Liver Action Network Member:
As a local non-profit, being a member of the Global Liver Institute Liver Action Network keeps us informed on legislative and regulatory packages that are liver health-centric to guide our advocacy efforts.
Our 2021 Legislative Priorities:
- COVID-19 Response: Ensure funding for COVID-19 and liver disease public health programs, research, vaccine dissemination; ensure that people living with liver disease are not disproportionately impacted and do not experience unnecessary or discriminatory health care or treatment disruptions
- Health Disparities: Address inequities in the care of people impacted by liver disease, especially the excess liver cancer mortality of black men in America
- Liver Health Policy: Advance the U.S. NASH Action Plan, and ensure patient with liver disease perspectives are represented in relevant legislative packages: COVID-19, diabetes, obesity
- Liver Health Regulations: Work with regulators to establish logical pathway to consistently approve therapies for liver diseases, particularly rare liver diseases
- Research Funding: Advocate for funding that ensures meaningful growth of vital liver disease research and the improving of liver health
- Transplant: Urgently respond to the inequities that impact organ transplantation; modernize the U.S. Organ Donation system, improve care for transplant patients, and increase the number of available organs
- Viral Hepatitis B and C: Increase support for hepatitis programs and raise awareness of viral hepatitis; advocate for the elimination of viral hepatitis
- Value: Advance health care policies that reflect each person’s unique needs and drive access to personalized, patient-centric care
- Patient Access and Reimbursement: Support policy solutions that curb patients, health care expenses; advocate for the smoothing and capping out-of-pocket costs in Medicare Part D